Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why the blog, Heidi?

It all started on a dark and dreary winter day in Central Pennsylvania(no, really, it did!). I had a sweet new baby at home, and I wanted to take a pic of him. I could not wait to show my family and friends his adorableness. The lovely birth announcements were ready to go. All I needed was a nice pic to go with them. I even color coordinated his shirt with the ink on the announcements! But, try as I might, I could. not. get. the. shot. Why? Because the sun don't shine in Central Pennsylvania. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a hair, but with thick grey cloud coverage in February and hardly any lights in our old Victorian home, taking pics of the kids inside was impossible(unless you like deer in headlight flash photography). After taking several bad pics and settling on the best of the worst(I sent these sorry pics out, by the way), I realized something...Since moving to PA, I did not have many pics of my kids. Heck, some months, I didn't take any. Now, I have been taking bad pics of my kids for years, trust me on that. But, in the South, we would take alot of pics outside. So, even though I took alot of bad pics, I would end up with a few good ones(when I accidentally stumbled into the right light). And you know what? That was enough for me. I would get the good ones printed and save the bad ones on my computer. But, with my new 'stuck inside during half the year with bad lighting' life, I was not chronicling our life! Something had to change. So, I went to Joe, and I begged and pleaded and schemed and then finally(like 2 months later LOL) got my first DSLR. :) With the higher iso and no shutter lag, I could finally get inside pics. :) But, then I had a thought...why take good pics only *some* of the time? Am I really going to go back to that? Why can't I take *good* pics all(or most) of the time? Hmmm...sounded like a challenge of sorts. So, I decided to take myself up on it and learn how to use this camera. I mean, *really* use it. So, 'why the blog, Heidi?' Well, as I learn, I figured blogging pics would be fun. It will encourage me to take better pics. And, I want to chronicle the day to day life of our family. A year from now, I want to look back on an old pic in an old post and tear up in nostalgia.  And, I like blogs. Oh, and I like sharing. :) Oh, wait before I go, here is that fateful pic. Underexposed, terrible white balance, out of focus, camera shake blur, bad composition, grainy, oh and if you look real close there is a hazy spot because the lens was that dirty. HA! But, even bad pictures capture good memories, so enjoy. Here is sweet Jude.



P.S. I don't take *good* pics yet. Just better. I'm learning! So expect to see more bad pics. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment