Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Film...

There is just something about it that really melts my heart. Is that melodramatic or what?!! No, really, I love film images. The above one was a fun shot, just for the love of color. I did not do one thing to this in Ps5...no sharpening, no curves, no color poppage...nothing. To me, that says alot about the beauty of the medium, because to get this same look, I really would have to tinker around with midtones, hue saturation, and probably even a color fill to get the grass that hue. My digi grass is always more yellow than blue, but it is quite the opposite with film.
I just recently took part in a film workshop called shooting the breeze. Wait, I did not take part in anything, I was a total bum! :( It was a great class...the pdfs are beautiful and informative, the interviews and pictures are inspiring, and Suzie is talented, amazing, and sweet. I feel terribly for not being more active in it. I signed up for it on a whim, thinking it was such a great idea, it would force me to shoot more film. But...between editing my digi images, taking on a new project, and having a busy life with 4 boys(and this time of year is especially busy with baseball!), I ended up being a silent observer, and before I knew it, it was over. I am the worst procrastinator, and time slips outta my hands pretty easily. It was a beautiful class though. Anyhow...I guess this is where I am at with film and digi, I feel like I don't really have the time to devot the attention either one needs unless I focus one ONE medium. That is a silly sentiment though, I know, so I am going to do my best to explore film *and* digi, and utilize my time better overall...

Anyhow...isn't that swing pic full of pretty color? :) 
Fuji Superia Xtra 800, if you are wondering. ;) 

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome shot! I felt the same way in RYC2. I still have assignments to do, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and I love the colors as well. I'm a bit scared to go back to film, but should try it some time. I was also a bum with Lightroom 101 and PS101. Thank goodness for the PDF's and the video downloads because I'm still working on them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Heidi, it is a such a shame we didn't get to know you on STB :( Hang on to your resources though, and you can always use them at a future date! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's an interesting comparison Heidi. The colors are really vibrant and rich! I just can't imagine shooting manual and not being able look at my histogram etc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i still have 5 rolls of film in my car waiting to be taken to develop... I am a film bum.
    LOVE the swing shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. This really makes me want to give film a shot. The colors are gorgeous in this image!!!

    ReplyDelete